Saturday, February 23, 2008

Good News

1. I no longer owe the IRS anything.
Pretty much everyone who reads my blog knows that when I got divorced, I ended up getting screwed on my taxes. I was already in an interesting financial situation and got to add on monthly payments for my back taxes. When I finished doing my taxes this year I cried, but for a different reason than last year. I actually got a tax return. It was small, but it was enough to pay off the bit I still owed to the IRS and pay for a few minor things like food and gas. I'm going to save what I would have been paying them for a down payment on a car.

2. I no longer own a car.
It sounds like a bad thing when I say it that way. I met the junkyard tow truck at the dealership where my Daewoo lay. I signed over the title, he handed over a $150 check. Now I don't have to worry about it any more. It's gone. I only have to make the last 4 payments on the loan and it will be gone too.

3. I am no longer asleep.
I really wasn't expecting this one when I saw my psychiatrist on Monday. I've been stuck in a depressive episode for a while now. In addition to many other things, I felt so exhausted that I could barely stay awake at work. Whenever I did get the time to do something productive, I would just sit or go to sleep.

The lack of working has been catching up to me. The administration tends to notice when you don't get any grades in for the first progress report. I'm also in charge of planning the web mastering course, which I had been making up a day at a time. The stress of all this was just making everything worse. The doctor prescribed Provigil to help me wake up in the morning. The logic is: if I'm awake, I can work and therefore relieve some stress. Relieve some stress, the depression might ease up.

I took it on Tuesday morning. The difference is amazing. I have actually felt awake and alert each day since. I can sleep just fine at night because it isn't like a caffeine pill. Interestingly, it's usually prescribed for narcolepsy. Even though it hasn't even been a week, I've noticed a huge difference. I've been able to catch up at work and get up more easily in the morning. I am so grateful that I've finally found something to help. I really felt like I was getting to a state of being unemployable. I still have so many things to do, but I think I can actually do them now.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such a wonderful post! I'm so happy to hear that things are going so well. You deserve it.

Jan said...

Great news -- I second Becca's commnets!